Learning To Study The Bible
There are 66 books in the Bible – The Old Testament has 39 books and the New Testament has 27 Books.
- The Laws of Moses - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.
- Historical Books – Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I Samuel, II Samuel, I Kings, II Kings, I Chronicles, II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther.
- Books of Poetry – Jo, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon.
- Major Prophets – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations and Ezekiel
- Minor Prophets – Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.
- The Gospels: Biography of Jesus – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- History – Acts of the Apostle (Some call it the Acts of the Holy Spirit).
- Paul’s Letters – Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I Thessalonian, II Thessalonian, I Timothy, II Timothy, Titus and Philemon.
- Other Letters – Hebrews, James, I Peter, II Peter, I John, II John, III John, and Jude.
- Prophecy - Revelation
Observation – What Do You See?
- Things that are emphasized – The amount of space given to a topic
First 11 Chapters of Genesis: creation, the fall, the flood, Tower of Babel,
Chapters 12 – 50: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph.
- Things that are repeated – repeating words, content, themes
Psalm 136:102; I Samuel 3:1-10; Judges 21:25
- Things that are related
Matthew 6:1; Matthew 6:2-4 (Giving); Matthew 6:5-6 (Praying); Matthew 6:
- Things that are alike
Simile: Draws comparison between two things (Psalm 42:1 & I Peter 2:2).
Metaphor: A word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is
used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them,
ie – we say computers have memory or sense – See John 15:1).
- Things that are unalike
Galatians 5:19-23 (v.19 – Flesh / v.22 – Spirit).
- Things that are true to life
- Abraham – Gen 22:2 (Sometimes we are placed in difficult situations).
- Moses – Numbers 20:1-13 (One act of bad temper and he could not
enter the promised land).
- Noah – Genesis 9:20-21 (A righteous and upright man got drunk).
- Peter – John 18:10, 17 (A big mouth and impulsive fisherman was
weak before a servant girl).
Study & Application – What Do You See Personally & How Does It Apply To YOU?
- Go to Genesis 3:1-13 – Read, Study and Pray over this section
- List the following:
- What things are emphasized?
- What things are repeated?
- What things are related?
- What things are alike?
- What things are unalike?
- What things are true to life?
- Meditate and pray about what you have read and how it relates to your own life and walk at this time.